TMU Movie Site Initiatives 2013

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 sexymaria

sexymaria

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:55 PM

This may or may not have been requested before. How about an icon at TMU under each movie so we can see what platform they were made with? Usually I look to the thumbnail (which isn't always definitive) and a lot of the time the thumb is a title screen. Or can be uploaded if embedded. Would also like to browse by platform by that may be asking too much.

Banner_Newer.png

#42 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

This may or may not have been requested before. How about an icon at TMU under each movie so we can see what platform they were made with? Usually I look to the thumbnail (which isn't always definitive) and a lot of the time the thumb is a title screen. Or can be uploaded if embedded. Would also like to browse by platform by that may be asking too much.

I like this idea. As a current workaround dont forget we have channels devoted to the various platforms.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#43 sexymaria

sexymaria

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:29 AM

Thank you for that info, Biz. Machinimods had little icons for the mods of each platform. That's what gave me the idea. Sadly Machinimods has closed. (Or has been down for a long time) I wonder if TMU radio site can again host the TMO prop shop download.

Banner_Newer.png

#44 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:37 AM

Thank you for that info, Biz. Machinimods had little icons for the mods of each platform. That's what gave me the idea. Sadly Machinimods has closed. (Or has been down for a long time) I wonder if TMU radio site can again host the TMO prop shop download.

I'm still not ready to commit to the higher cost of the new server just yet (the co-pays for all these doctor visits are kicking my a$$), but when we finally get there, I would think this would be doable.

Also, I just checked and I have zip files for the prop shop sets, props, and costumes. I can definitely put them up for download for those who need them.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#45 sexymaria

sexymaria

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:59 AM

That would be fantastic. I'm not sure how much of the content was included with S&E or not. Hope those doctors can finally give you the right treatment.

Banner_Newer.png

#46 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

Damn, I forgot how close this came to happening back when. Rereading through the thread....Any thoughts Ken on if this will again be the decision and process or have things dun changed? Or is it too early to tell.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#47 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

The end result will be similar - new dedicated server, new movie site script, Machinima-U.

The specifics will be slightly different - I'll have more money to spend on all of this, so...

The dedicated server will be more powerful, more storage, etc. etc. than I was looking at before the Big C shattered the financial stability I was beginning to reach. If we stick with subhosting.com for hosting the server, which I would prefer to do if possible, it'll be a physical server. If not, it'll either be a physical server or a cloud server (I've been researching cloud services - the terminology/method of billing is different from what I've been accustomed to since I put up my first website almost 20 years ago - since it's not a "physical" machine but rather pieces of physical machines, in some cases they bill by minutes, in some cases by "instances" - I haven't quite wrapped my head around it yet, but advantages would be scaleability - need more memory, need more storage, need more bandwidth - it can all be instantly added - or removed, for that matter - so we will always have exactly what we need in terms of computing power, no more, no less. Seems like a good idea overall, but will still require a lot more research. Also you're looking at 100% uptime, since you're not tied to a single machine that could malfunction or lose power or connectivity - when something goes down, it rolls over to something else.).

I have almost given up on the idea of buying a script. If we're going to do this right, then it makes a lot more sense to have somebody(s) put together a custom script - one that matches exactly what we're looking for on the movie site, from presentation to security to backend administration to configuration. The underlying technology of "sharing" videos is simple, and most of it is open-source. So it's not about somebody needing to figure out "how" to get a movie stored on a server to stream in a browser or mobile device. It's about the site and it's capabilities. I'm already doing some preliminary exploration on that, and after the anniversary show and beyond, as we put together a blueprint of EXACTLY what we want, I'll go into it a little more. I could some up with a list of features with what I want, but I'd prefer it be what the community wants.

Machinima-U will be happening, though my first goal is to get the movie site where we want it. I've mentioned the live component that I want to get in there - in addition to the movie nights you mentioned in the revival tread, and that kind of thing, I'd think a live component might be great for Machinima-U as well.

So that's where we stand right now.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#48 Rocco

Rocco

BRONXBROTHERS

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:32 AM

TMU
"You may upload videos up to 668 MB (limit set by the site Administrator)."

please increase to 1 gig "TMG highest export"

Youtube or NewGrounds or Vimeo..ect NONE OF THEM HOLD ANYWHERE NEAR THAT...they are 500-700mb max

and with the copyright BS on Youtube now....

#49 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:21 PM

TMU
"You may upload videos up to 668 MB (limit set by the site Administrator)."

please increase to 1 gig "TMG highest export"

Yeah, part of the new script will remove the size limit (or at least up it) since we'll have more storage. In truth, I think it's very rare that anybody uploads something bigger than a few hundred megs, but I still want to make sure there is no ceiling for those bigger projects.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#50 Rocco

Rocco

BRONXBROTHERS

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, part of the new script will remove the size limit (or at least up it) since we'll have more storage. In truth, I think it's very rare that anybody uploads something bigger than a few hundred megs, but I still want to make sure there is no ceiling for those bigger projects.

awesome!!! can't wait

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users